Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Our Addiction to Anxiety

I've recently become a follower of an online magazine called "Wrecked for the Ordinary" - a magazine written by Jesus followers who are re-imaging culture with Christ in mind. I encourage you to check it out.

In a recent article, writer C.Holland talks about her 2008 awareness of her addiction to anxiety and her 2009 "resolution" to work on "taking every thought captive" as Scripture states, and instead to heed Philippians 4:6. Ironically, I couldn't have penned a better article myself. My experience, almost down to the very "t" and very "i", has been the same, except that my adrenal system did shut down many years ago and it's been a road of recovery ever since. Yes, these things do happen!

I share this with you, because I know I'm not alone and neither is C. Holland. In fact, I think any Western or Eastern medical professional will attest to the spread of a rampant disease of anxiety addiction. Anxiety is not a newfound discovery, but as new medias emerge and we become evermore connected with each other (cell phones, emails, facebook, blogs, Twitters, LinkedIns, RSS Feeds, texting...) the anxiety, and potentials for anxiety, only grows.

I encourage you to read C. Holland's article. If it describes you... know you're not alone in the battle to slow down and trust God.

1 comment:

Freestyle said...

Anxiety is a real problem... and i think the culture of our society promotes it. Thanks for your honesty in your life.