Monday, May 21, 2007

water has been the theme...

With the weather warming up, I seem to be spending at least every sunny down at the lakefront. In choosing an apartment, its accessibility to the lake was never a factor I considered, and yet in the Lord's providence, (and I mean that), he knew I'd need these moments along the lake to keep my sanity.) I landed an apartment just three blocks for the lakefront, on a street that has a bridge right over the Drive. And, at a time when much reflection was and is needed, the waterfront is a great place to catch a breath, think, and exercise.

Over the last few months, I have been journeying with Hannah Hurnand through the land of mountains and valleys in her book "Hinds Feet on High Places". It's a book I've read before, but stashed back on the shelf for another unforseen moment when I would receive that inner, unexplainable urge to pick it up again.

The final chapters of the book recount the circumstance and place that inspired Hurnand to write the book - the waterfalls of the Swiss mountains. For me, the lakefront as an unexpected joy combined with the candid, vivid writing of an author who brings soul out of everyday living, I have begun to think about the ability of water to transform lots of things, including my life.

In my recounts, I have been surprised by the number of times water has surrounded my most memorable memories. The many pools that were my training ground in becoming a certified lifeguard. The waterfall in Jamaica that was an afternoon playground after two weeks of hard work. The mountaintops of Ecuador that were home, not only to the exotic Indian tribes, but magnificent waterfalls feeding rivers flowing across the ecquatorial divide. Green Lake, WI, which will forever hold memories of speed-boat rides and tubing fun with my big boy cousins. The Atlantic Ocean adventures spent year after year with fun-loving college friends in March, just when we could no longer take the pressure of studies and the drab of western Michigan. And my favorite Bible stories - Jesus turning water into wine, calming the stormy waters, and cleansing us clean.

Hurnand put together for me the draw I have to these watery places of power, beauty, and serenity. Water pictures for us the components of love. Take waterfalls, for instance, water pouring upon water in extra-ordinary ecstasy of self-abandoned giving. Love - An expression of humility, the plumit downward of the water, encouraging us to dig deeper, find the lowest place and you will find fulfillment. An expression of giving, a pouring out that brings life and power to others, for in greater giving comes greater fulfillment. An expression of service, the waters giving themselves to the whole valley but also to expanses far beyond. "To be utterly abandoned to the goal of giving oneself to others, and going down lower, is the joy and ecstacy of love."

Still, the very power and magnificence of water can bring us great fear and threaten to drown us, should we succumb. It hasn't been long since I thought I couldn't tread water any longer, when I would give anything to have someone bring the floor up to me. When I was thrust off the tube so hard that the ensued scare was hard to cover up with a smile when I came to the surface. Life has certainly brought many of these moments. Yet, the Lord in His great faithfulness has brought the floor up to me just when my "heart muscles" thought I couldn't tread any longer. When I thought I had "bit it", He has given me a glimpse of what truly biting it would mean and that I've come through a valley, but not been destroyed. Like my favorite song says,"I am coming up for air. It won't be long until I am there."

No comments: