Monday, March 17, 2008

They've Chosen Innocence

(a thought in process...)

I've become so aware, when I speak with people about my job, of what keeps me continually engaged and motivated in my work. It's the people - the people of the Woodlawn neighorbood. The single mom who comes into our office to pick up an application for her child to join our after-school program, so often exclaiming that this is the very thing she'd hoped would come to town. The older gentleman with the fuzzy hat and a warm smile, excited about learning new things in our technology class. The smart yet spunky fourth-grade girl who I read with every Tuesday afternoon. It's these people, and many more, whose constant, admittedly interruptive, "hello" keeps me energized.

However, it's more than just their presence and their various personalities that I so enjoy. My love and admiration for them is more about a choice so many of them have made (perhaps a subconscious choice). They have chosen innocence.

Now I know this may confuse many of you or, seem ironic to those of you who know of Woodlawn's demographic. Woodlawn is a predominately low-income (some would use the phrase "economically marginalized) place. A neighborhood struggling to break cycles of poverty and violence. A place weary of waging battle against institutional racism. A place of much transience and much vulnerability. These things are true about the community but, what's also true is that so many of these people possess a will (power) that marks them.

See, I've come to believe in the last 18 months that innocence is a choice - a choice not to be confused with naivity, ignorance, inexperience, or immaturity. Innocence is not not limp or wimpy, as it's so often meant to connote; rather, it's silently strong and posseses perseverance. Innocence is a daily decision - a decision which tightly bundles hope and forgiveness with life experience.

Unfortunately, many of the young students in our programs have seen things their eyes were never supposed to witness. That man has been told words and had experiences that those who have never undergone racial oppression will ever be able to relate to. That mother may indeed be juggling responsibilities too great for the resources she has. But, in so many of their eyes there is great innocence. Perhaps this innocence is better understood as a faith that there is some thing, some place better than the present place. That it all (whatever "all" is. I'd let them fill in the blank.) will pass and it will "all" work out.

I'm convinced it's this innocence that Jesus needed a drink from when he called the children to himself after a long day of teaching. The very same innocence spoken of only moments later when Jesus exhorted the adults around him to make note of. These children possessed innocence.

The people of Woodlawn have taught me that no matter the sights I see, the experiences I've had or will have, or the injustice I encounter, I too have a choice. Each day I have a choice. Woodlawn is teaching me that life is much sweeter if I choose innocence.

No comments: