Saturday, September 15, 2007

Flying - Confessions of a Free Woman

Last night had me at the Gene Siskell Film Center with Kelley (who lives in the city now!!!) getting in on the first part of a three part film series by Jennifer Fox. Her latest film project recently concluded. A project which spans nearly every continent, women ages 20-99, logged 1600 hours of footage, and took nearly 5 years.

In this film project, Jennifer Fox lays bare her own turbulent life to penetrate what it means to be a free woman today. Employing an ingenious new camera technique, called "passing the camera", Fox creates a documentary language that mirrors the special way women communicate. Over intimate conversations around kitchen tables from South Africa to Russia, India and Pakistan, she initiates a groundbreaking dialogue among women, illuminating universal concerns across race, class and nationality. Part delectable soap opera, sociopolitical inquiry, and narrative experiments, FLYING sweeps us up into an addictive international adventure chronicled with sincerity, innovation and elegance.

I encourage you to check out the trailer. http://flyingconfessions.com/about_trailer.php

The film plays this weekend (& Tuesday). A six-hour film, it is broken up into 6-one hour chapters, of which 2 hours are being shown at a time.

I guarantee you will walk away and want to discuss this modern day femininity with your girl friend. Kelley and I did!

I had one overarching feeling when I left the theatre though. That is, how thankful I am to my own parents for how they exemplified in every aspect of their life that marriage does not bring happiness, adventure, or personal pursuits to a grinding halt...that love & excitement are only just beginning when you find each other...and that one's exploration of themselves does not end when you get married and have children. So often women's upbringing determines how they think about and play the dating game. I'm thankful I got off on a empowering, positive footing. Their marriage and their mindset I'm realizing gives me an amazing amount of hope.

No comments: