Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Reason I Own A TV

This may come as a surprise coming from a young 20-something who majored in film, radio, and tv, but I have thought (sometimes more serious than others) about getting rid of my tv. And if you were that fly on my way, it would be even more surprising, since then you could contend that I do, in fact, have my tv on at least 2 hours each day. (Now whether I am concertedly watching the tv is another matter.) However, there is, in fact, only a small percentage of television shows out there worth watching or even worth previewing. For all the money I spend each month on cable television, I've wondered if purchasing season dvds after their release would be more cost effective or even time-effective. Who knows?

But then, there are those shows very much worth watching, which won't later come out on dvd, that turn my tables towards keeping my tv. Oxygen's latest series called "Who Cares About Girls?" was one of those segments. (Thank God, really, for any special that can refrain, for one hour, from showing commercials.) The shows and special features can be found on the Oxygen website.

Lisa Ling (gotta love this 33 year-old gem of a journalist) carries viewers threw a series of stories about young women in various parts of the world whose vulnerability is being taken advantage of. National Geographic went on tour with Ling in putting together these documentaries. I highly recommend that you take some time out to listen to these girls' stories by visiting the website, and also learn more about how you can help in the intervention to give these girls back their childhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.