Sunday, June 10, 2007

Through the eyes of a child

My supervisor and I had put the idea of a summer community open house on the table months ago. Well, the idea was made tangible this weekend. My organization threw this community open house as a way to debut our newly renovated facility, officially explain to our neighborhood what we actually seek to accomplish, and to host our summer camp sign up. Although the day's expenses were graciously underwritten, a last minute change of plans meant I, personally, had 24 hours to prepare food for 250 people. Quickly assessing this was too large of a task to handle alone, I called my friend, Stephanie, with a politely worded S.O.S. request. And because she truly is a comrade, she dropped her day's plans to help me shop, make many decisions, cut and wash food, and so forth. Steph, thanks in large part to you, the food looked great.








Somewhere in the craziness of the morning, I managed to remember that we needed pictures. (Fortunately, several others remembered too. It seems, with our events, we either have no pictures or tons of pictures. Hmmm.) Overwhelmed that yet another task got added to my list of things to do, I handed off my camera to a 14 year old girl, who had just come in to sign up for camp and didn't seem to be leaving anytime soon. I gave her license to take whatever pictures she wanted. When I finally asked for my camera back, she sheepishly replied, "Oh, um, make sure to erase the last one. It's the worst one I took. "


Exhibit A:


I exclaimed that surely I would not.

Needless to say, handing off my camera was a wise decision and I have many candid pictures of the day.

No comments: